Friday, January 2, 2009

Because, "They're converting our children, we're not converting them."

Written by Claudia

Repeatedly, throughout my life, I've heard people teach something similar to- "The recent generations, the ones which are coming now and will come from henceforth, are (unlike the pioneers who toiled physically and emotionally) in a spiritual war. Their temptations will mostly be those that affect their spiritual well being."

And so, as I read/listened to the quotes I have listed below, it struck me how real and true that war is (even though the messages were given from people who are of a faith other than my own) and it made me feel even more empowered in the decision we made to homeschool our children.

"They're converting our children, we're not converting them."
Obviously not all children are being converted to...let's say secularism. But as I observe the developing people coming out of the school system - I can't help but believe that more and more students are coming away being "converted" to societies lack of values and lack of dedicated faith in God.

"What can theistic sunday school, meeting for an hour once a week do to stem the tide of a five day program of humanstic teaching?" Charles Francis Potter
Because I believe the current trial(s) for most people are spiritual in nature...it feels right, to me, to give our children more spiritual (and family) time.

"We've been in a long 60/80 year cultural and spiritual war for the soul of the nation and if the christian church today will educate their children according to biblical commands we believe the Lord will have mercy on us and we can begin to reverse the spiritual immoral and cultural slide and perhaps we will see revival in our times." E. Ray Moore Th.M.
I love the scripture found in D&C 43:15 "Again I say...ye are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put into your hands by the power of my Spirit." It puts into perspective how important it is to teach my growing ones. I feel, the things that I teach them which are most important (especially in these sinful times) are those things which will aid in bringing them back to Heavenly Father.

"The left knows that whoever controls the children owns the future...if you control the schools you control the future."
This quote reminds me of when Adolf Hitler said, "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." I'll admit, although I don't think there is some crazy conspiracy going on within our school system, considering that public schools are government owned and operated "businesses", it would be so easy for such to happen... Although, to a degree, considering the amount of atheism which has been gaining the upper hand, I feel the government already has over stepped their bounds. (Expelled helps put this into perspective.)

"It's time for us to make some sacrifices ... why should we leave the public schools when our forefathers fought, marched, bled, and sometimes even died, so that we can have the right to attend those schools? My answer is quite simple. Our forefathers marched, bled and even died so that we would not have to accept the kind of inferior education that is currently inflicted on many minority students. If you ask me, we need to march some more and the first place we need to march is right out the front door of those Christ dis-honoring, academically inferior, soul killing, indoctrinating centers." Voddie Bauchman, Jr. D.Min.

I think the schools are doing a good job teaching academics to our children. The only reason, at this point, I find the education in the public school system to be inferior is that is leaves God and the Spirit out of its teachings far too much. (Read this post for more.)

Some of these quotes are a little extreme. A little cheesy. A little dramatic. Yet, they contain some, what I think to be, valid and thought provoking points.
.

No comments: